Handmade Jewelry - Tatting Necklace 1
1. Tatting Shuttle
2. Threadart cotton pearl thread
3. Pearly bead
4. Glass bead
5. Chain extender
6. Lobster latch
Tatting Necklace Free Pattern
1. Threadart Pearl Cotton Thread http://amzn.to/2z95Ng4
2. Pearl beads – 4 mm in size (from Craft Designer http://amzn.to/2xIPqTI)
3. Glass bugle beads (Tube beads) from cousin http://amzn.to/2z9oWhV
4. Tatting shuttle/ needle http://amzn.to/2zVtzcl
5. Strong glue to fasten the final knot.
6. Corn starch spray to make tatting firm.
7. Chain extenders
8. Lobster latch
I prefer shuttle over needle as the tension is better, however, this pattern can be made using tatting needle too.
1.Leave a very long tail of around 60-70 inches.
2.While using needle, thread in the following order 1 pearl bead (PB) then 2 tube beads (TB). Insert many beads in that order.
3.While using shuttle, thread PB and hold inside the shuttle. Thread TB and hold in the tail.
4.Make a ring of 13 double stitches (DC)
5.Make a chain of 2 DC, Picot with 1 TB, 2DC, Picot with 1 TB, 2 DC. While using the shuttle, you would have threaded the tube beads in the tail, which you will use while making the Picots. While using needle, you would have threaded all the beads as 1 PB 2 TB order, and you will pull 1 TB and use in the Picot. Pull DCs tight and make knot.
6. Turn the work. Make ring. (3 DC, 1 PICOT) 4 TIMES, 3 DC, 1 PICOT WITH PB, (3 DC, 1 PICOT) 4 TIMES, 3 DC. This ring has total 9 Picots including the Picot with PB. While using the shuttle, you would have threaded the pearl beads in the shuttle, which you will use while making the Picot. While using needle, you would have threaded all the beads as 1 PB 2 TB order, and you will pull 1 PB and use in the Picot. Pull DCs tight and make knot.
7. Turn the work. Make chain similar to point no. 5 above.
8.Turn the work. Make ring. 3 DC, 1 PICOT, 3 DC, 1 PICOT (join to 8th Picot of previous ring), (3 DC, 1 PICOT) 2 TIMES, 3 DC, 1 PICOT WITH PB, (3 DC, 1 PICOT) 4 TIMES, 3 DC.
9.Repeat step 7 and 8 above several times till desired size is achieved. I made it 21 rings in my Necklace.
10.End with chain of 2 DC, 1 PICOT WITH TB, 2 DC, 1 PICOT WITH TB, 2 DC. Then make a FINAL ring of 13 DC and close.
11.This pattern will automatically give the necklace a round shape.
12.To hide tail at the end of the FINAL ring, tie knot 2 times, and apply glue at the knot to fasten it. After the glue dries cut off the excess thread. A strong glue would be ideal.
13.Lay flat the tatting on a foil with its back side facing you. Ensure that the tatting takes proper shape of the necklace, with Picots pointing out and necklace curved in. Now spray the corn starch spray all over the necklace generously so that the necklace is wet. Let it dry overnight.
14.The next morning, insert latching chains and hooks into the ring with 13 DC. And your beautiful necklace is ready to flaunt!